What Is NMGIC, Inc.?
The New Mexico Geographic Information Council, Inc. (NMGIC) was initiated by people from throughout the state concerned with developing and accessing geographic information for New Mexico. Favorable response to a meeting held in September 1984, attended by key people from state, federal and local agencies, universities, and private industry, led to the establishment of NMGIC in November of that year.
Initially, NMGIC was guided by a steering committee and operated as an ad hoc organization until recognized by an Executive Order issued by the governor of New Mexico in 1987. NMGIC incorporated as a non-profit organization in November 1989. It is managed by an elected nine member Board of Directors.
Major accomplishments of NMGIC include:
- official recognition through an Executive Order (87-19);
- securing non-profit corporation status in 1989;
- establishing a statewide network of geographic information users;
- publishing of the Directory of Sources for New Mexico Mapping and Remote Sensing Data;
- official recognition by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names as the primary contact for names issues in New Mexico;
- official recognition by the U.S. Geological Survey, National Mapping Division as the primary point of contact for New Mexico mapping priorities;
- establishing a high accuracy GPS reference network for New Mexico;
- co-hosting the 2006 New Mexico GIS Summit, attended by over 250 GIS professionals and managers;
- and consistent offerings of high quality speakers, exhibits, and programs regarding geographic information and related technologies.
NMGIC has two general meetings per year which are open to any person interested in geographic information. Members pay an annual fee, which entitles them access to all NMGIC programs and activities, as well as an annual subscription to The MapLegend. The MapLegend is NMGIC’s newsletter, published three times per year. Non-members are charged an admission fee to attend individual programs and activities. Corporate memberships are also available. For more information regarding membership click here.